The purpose of this series of notes is to explain parliaments and parliamentary processes, and identify ways for the international community to engage with them more effectively. This first note offers a summary, which subsequent notes will examine in more detail. It covers:
- Why engage with parliaments?
- Political economy analysis and parliamentary support.
- The functions of parliament: Legislation, oversight, representation.
- Who runs parliaments? Opportunities and entry-points.
- The role of parliaments in political development.
- Conclusion: Parliaments as powerful allies.